Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Where Do We Go From Here?

I have to figure out what I'm doing next writing-wise.

I've just finished another collection, "The New Amsterdam Vampire Social Club", as well as combining all the longer flashfiction from 2009-2011 into a collection called "Flash Back". Those two along with "Flash Forward", which falls between the two, contain all of my longer flashfiction including stories that didn't appear on the blog.

So with that done, I've been writing for five years (at least this time around) and  it's definitely novel time. I just don't know whether to write one of the existing ideas or 'pants it' with a brand new idea. Or I could spend some time writing short stuff or even a novel under my 'pen name', which is for more *ahem* adult fare. Which frankly would have a better chance of selling.

I guess ultimately there's only two of the four existing novel ideas I really like right now, but even then, if I had a good new idea, I'd start that without hesitation. Maybe I've let the older ideas sit too long and now they almost seem in my head as if I've already written them.

Sigh.

I guess I'm waiting for inspiration to hit me in the back of the head.

-----

Also of note is the demise and decline of a number of flashfiction 'prompt' sites I've been using, historically speaking. Trifecta closed down, Sunday Scribblings closed down, Wordplay wasn't renewed (though Nika might bring it back independently) Write On Edge just up and disappeared, and Parking Lot Confessional is a ghost town that doesn't really drive much in the way of traffic to my site when I (and only I) link to the prompt.

There's still Chuck Wendig's site, and the drabble sites Velvet Verbosity, The Magpie Tales, Visdare, and Friday Fictioneers. So I'll keep doing those when I like the prompts (as I usually do at least with the first three) and occasionally the PLC even though I get no hits out of it.

Anyhow, more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment